Alternative Learning Experience
Alternative Learning Experience (ALE) is public education where some or all of the instruction is delivered outside of a regular classroom schedule. ALE follows all public education requirements as well as Chapter 392-550 WAC.
Guides to assist with implementation of the law.
- Guide to Offering Alternative Learning Experiences
- Guidance on truancy in ALE can be found in the Guide to Offering ALE beginning on page 37
- Serving Students with Disabilities
- Certification & Endorsement Guide
- ALE Compliance Reviews
- Full-day Kindergarten Planning Guide
- Core Compliance Self-Study
- Substantially Similar Checklist
- 2020-21 ALE Year End Report Guidance
Communications & Video Guidance
- ALE Compliance Webinar 9/20/21
- Alternative Learning Experience 101 (Moodle Course)
- Online School Program Guidance webinar
- CEDARS Reporting for ALE Courses webinar
- 2019-20 ALE Year-End Report Module 1 – Report Overview
- 2019-20 ALE Year-End Report Module 2 – SAFS Component
- 2019-20 ALE Year-End Report Module 3 – Substantially Similar Component
ALE Compliance Forms
Below are sample forms to meet Alternative Learning Experience compliance. Please note that these are just samples and programs are welcome to develop their own to meet ALE requirements.
Written Student Learning Plan (WSLP)
- Sample 1 (K-12)
- Sample 2 (HS)
- Sample 3 (HS)
- Sample Elementary Math
- Sample 1 FDK + Syllabus
- Sample 2 FDK + Syllabus
Weekly Contact Log
Monthly Progress Review(MPR)
- Sample 1 K-8 detail
- Sample 2 HS detail
- Sample 3 short form
- Sample 4 Combined Weekly contact + MPR
- Sample 5 Combined MPR + IntPlan
- Sample FDK MPR
- Sample MPR Log
Intervention Plan (IntPlan)
WAC & RCW Rule Updates
- Permanent ALE Rule Change – Effective August 14, 2021
- Outlines a process for determining truancy, required interventions, and a threshold for filing a truancy petition for students enrolled in alternative learning experience courses beginning with the 2021-22 school year. See WAC 392-550-040 for more detail.
- Permanent ALE Rule Change – Effective August 10, 2020
- Moves the rules governing ALE to chapter 392-550 WAC and simplifies WAC 392-121-182 to include only enrollment reporting requirements.
- Removes the requirement to obtain a parent signature documenting the parent’s understanding of the difference between home-based instruction and ALE. A requirement to notify families of the difference at enrollment and in school/program materials remains. See WAC 392-550-030(10) for more detail.