For Those Who Hold A Standard/Continuing Certificate
LanguagesA-Z IndexPrinter Friendly Image

For questions:
   9:00am-4:30pm - M-W-Th-F
   10:00am-4:30pm - Tuesday
   Contact Us

ESD Fingerprinting locations

Refund Policy

Teachers Administrators ESA CTE

For Those Who Hold A Standard/Continuing Certificate

A standard/continuing elementary and secondary Teacher, Administrator, or ESA certificate (issued based on standards in effect prior to 1987) enables the holder to serve at all levels P-12 in the role of the certificate. It is valid for life.

If you DO NOT KNOW what kind of Washington certificate you hold, send an email with your full name (name used at the time of certification), date of birth, and certificate number (if known) to Professional Certification.

If you hold a STANDARD TEACHER CERTIFICATE you have the following options:

  • Certification from the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS)
  • You do NOT have the option of adding an endorsement or to renew or maintain this certificate
    According to standards adopted by the State Board of Education, your standard (or continuing) certificate, issued according to the rules and regulations in effect prior to August 31, 1987, is valid for life. Even if your certificate had lapsed at some time because you lacked experience for maintenance, its validity has been restored.

You need neither clock hours nor experience to maintain your certificate.

Your certificate is unendorsed. It enables you to serve in any subject matter, preschool through twelfth (12) grade. It is up to the employing district to place you according to your experience and area of preparation.


   Updated 8/16/2016

Old Capitol Building, PO Box 47200, 600 Washington St. S.E., Olympia, WA    98504-7200    360-725-6000  TTY 360-664-3631
Contact Us    |    Site Info    |    Staff Only