Certification - To apply for a Professional ESA Certificate
LanguagesA-Z IndexPrinter Friendly Image

For questions:
   9:00am-4:30pm - M-W-Th-F
   10:00am-4:30pm - Tuesday
   Contact Us

ESD Fingerprinting locations

Refund Policy

Teachers Administrators ESA CTE

Educational Staff Associate

To apply for a Professional ESA Certificate
(for School Counselor and School Psychologist) (valid for five years*)

  • Issues of Abuse: The issues of abuse course or course work must include information related to identification of physical, emotional, sexual, and substance abuse; the impact on learning and behavior; the responsibilities of an ESA to report abuse or to provide assistance to victimized children; and methods of teaching about abuse and its prevention.
  • One of the following options:
    • Hold a school counselor certificate issued by the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards* (NBPTS) (school counselors only);
    • Hold a Nationally Certified School Psychologist (NCSP) certificate issued by the National Association of School Psychologists (NASP) (school psychologists only);
    • Successfully complete an approved Professional ESA Certificate Program. (school counselors only)
      For information about Professional ESA Certificate programs, please visit the Professional Educator Standards Board Web site.

    * Professional ESA school counselor certificates issued on the basis of holding a valid National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS) school counselor certificate will have a validity of five years or the validity of the NBPTS certificate, whichever is greater.

    More information




Includes details on the documents needed and process to obtain certification.

Download Certification Forms





Old Capitol Building, PO Box 47200, 600 Washington St. S.E., Olympia, WA  98504-7200  360-725-6000  TTY 360-664-3631
Contact Us    |    A-Z Index    |    Site Info    |    Staff Only    |    Education Data System (EDS)