2017 Fall Counselor Workshops sponsored by WA Council
These valuable workshops provide updated information about higher education and more to high school counselors about what you need to know for the 2017-2018 school year. Held in nine locations throughout the state in September, school counselors hear current information from admission directors from four-year public and private universities, updates from Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI), State Board for Community and Technical Colleges (SBCTC) and the Washington Student Achievement Council (WSAC). This year the agenda will include a new Hot Topics in Higher Ed Question and Answer session about current issues.
WA Council for High School and College Relations, commonly called WA Council, operates for educational purposes and is organized to assist all WA state students to access and engage in postsecondary opportunities at its member institutions. email@example.com
Workshop Contact: Jana Jaraysi, firstname.lastname@example.org, Commission Chair for questions.
GATE Monthly Webinars for 2017-18
OSPI Graduation- A Team Effort (GATE) is conducting a monthly webinar series on best practices in relation to the OSPI
performance indicators, such as chronic absenteeism, behavior, 9th grade failure, post-graduation enrollment and graduation and more!
Each webinar is 10:00 – 11:00. Register
- September 13: Attendance - Implications of Attendance and What Can You Do
- October 13: Behavior - How Discipline Impacts Attendance and Alternatives to Missing Class
- November 8: 9th Grade Success/Algebra -The Link Between Attendance and 9th Grade Success
- December 13: Graduation - Predicting Graduation with Early Warning Indicators
- January 10: Systems - Systematically Building Capacity
- February 14: Kindergarten Ready - Supporting Kindergarten Readiness
- March 14: School Engagement - Inspiring Civic Engagement
- April 11: Dual Credit - How Dual Credit Supports Postsecondary Success
- May 9: Post Grad - Gauging Access to College with the SAT/ACT and FAFSA Analytics
- June 13: Evaluating Efforts/Plan for Next Year - Reflecting on the Year
OSPI/WSAC Wednesday Webinars for School Counselors for 2017-18
OSPI and WA Student Achievement Council will host monthly webinars
specifically designed for school counselors. Past webinars will be posted as
they become available on the
WA Student Achievement Council’s Ready, Set, Grad
Each webinar is 10:30 – 11:30.
Registration information is below for each workshop:
- October 4 - Financial Aid Updates
- November 1 - Four-Year College Admissions and CADR Update
- December 6 - Personalized Planning for Postsecondary Pathways for All Students
- January 17 - K-12 Career and College Readiness
- February 7 - Supporting and Creating a College Going Culture for Underserved Students
- March 7 - Serving Special Populations for College and Career Readiness
- April 18 - High School & Beyond Planning Tools
- May 16 - Dual Credit Updates
Stay connected — go to Email Updates and subscribe to our popular News and More for School Counselors. Our listserv and newsletter will feature upcoming professional learning opportunities, and connect school counselors with resources that support guidance and counseling programs.