Healthy Youth Survey
The Healthy Youth Survey (HYS) is a statewide, collaborative effort of OSPI, the Department of Health, the Department of Social and Health Service's Division of Behavioral and Health and Recovery, Family Policy Council, Department of Commerce, and Liquor Control Board.
The survey is conducted every two years. In the fall of 2016, over 230,000 students in over 1,000 schools from 236 school districts in all 39 counties took part. Results are located on the Healthy Youth Survey website.
2016 Healthy Youth Survey
Regional Workshops NOW AVAILABLE
- Learn what students said about themselves, their school, family and community
- Be able to interpret and communicate the HYS results
- Learn how to use the HYS website and access your HYS data
Accessing your Data
Please visit the AskHYS.net website for guidance on how to access your data.
What it measures
The survey measures health risk behaviors that contribute to morbidity, mortality, and social problems among youth in Washington state. These behaviors include alcohol, tobacco, and other drug use, behaviors that result in unintentional and intentional injuries (e.g., violence), dietary behaviors, physical activity, and related risk and protective factors.
How it informs
The survey results are an important source of needs-assessment data for school districts, community-based organizations, local health and human service agencies, and state agencies. The results are used to monitor the health status of adolescents and track progress on state and federal education and health-related goals. HYS results help schools make evidence-based decisions that lead not only to positive academic outcomes, but also provides information that allows schools to identify conditions that impact student learning and the overall school climate.
Schools in Washington state with students in grades 6, 8, 10, and/or 12 are eligible to participate. The survey takes only one class period to administer and student participation is completely voluntary and anonymous. Participation is free.
How you can participate
Please check back here in the future for information on registering for the 2016 Healthy Youth Survey.
If participating, principals must agree to follow the survey administration procedures:
- Administer the survey during the administration week (typically in October).
- Send out an informational survey brochure to parents provided in the materials sent to schools prior to the survey administration.
- Post information about the survey on the school website.
- Inform students of the survey.
- Place a copy of the survey in the school office for parent review.
- Provide an alternative activity for those students that choose not to participate in the survey.
- Correctional facilities are not eligible to participate based on Human Research Review rules.
Download recruitment materials such as answers to frequently asked questions, an overview of each type of behavior covered by the survey and a statement of rationale for the inclusion of these items, details about using the survey data, and regional recruitment contacts.
Questions about accessing your data and general questions about HYS
Krissy Johnson (OSPI)
(360) 725-6045 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions about HYS Administration and AskHYS.net website
Susan Richardson (Looking Glass Analytics)
Contact the Safety Center
The 2016 Survey results are available on the Healthy Youth Survey website.
Ask HYS includes Fact Sheets, an interactive data query system called Q x Q Analysis, and a report archive.