Transitional Bilingual Instructional Program (TBIP)
LanguagesA-Z IndexPrinter Friendly Image

 For more information about
 Migrant and Bilingual
 Education Programs:

 360-725-6147 or e-mail  


Migrant/Bilingual Education

Home Language Survey

Every school district must adopt written procedures for the identification of each student's primary or first language. Students whose primary or first language is not English must take the Washington English Language Proficiency Assessment (WELPA) Placement Test to determine whether they qualify for the State Transitional Bilingual Instruction Program.

The state’s Home Language Survey was updated in 2013 to more clearly and accurately identify each student’s primary or first language.

NOTE: Unless you have installed the correct font on your computer for the translation that you are downloading, use the PDF version of the document. When using the translated Word document, compare it to the PDF version to ensure that they are the same.




English PDF / Word
Amharic PDF / Word (Font needed: Nyala)
Arabic PDF / Word (Font needed: Times New Roman)
Bosnian PDF / Word
Burmese PDF / Word (Font needed: Zawgyi-One)
Chinese PDF / Word (Font needed: PMingLiU)
Chuukese PDF / Word
Farsi PDF / Word
French PDF / Word
Hindi PDF / Word (Font needed: Mangal)
Hmong PDF / Word
Ilocano PDF / Word
Japanese PDF / Word (Font needed: MS UI Gothic)
Karen PDF / Word (Font needed: KNU)
Khmer PDF / Word (Font needed: Batang, KhmerUI)
Korean PDF / Word (Font needed: Batang)
Laotian PDF / Word (Font needed: Lao Helvetica)
Marshallese PDF / Word
Nepali PDF / Word (Font needed: Preeti)
Oromo PDF / Word
Portuguese (Brazilian) PDF / Word
Punjabi PDF / Word (Font needed: Raavi)
Romanian PDF / Word
Russian PDF / Word
Samoan PDF / Word
Somali PDF / Word
Spanish PDF / Word
Swahili PDF / Word
Tagalog PDF / Word
Tamil PDF / Word (Font needed: Latha)
Telugu PDF / Word (Font needed: Gautami)
Thai PDF / Word
Tigrinya PDF / Word (Font needed: Nyala)
Turkish PDF / Word
Ukrainian PDF / Word
Urdu PDF / Word (Font needed: Nafees Web Na)
Vietnamese PDF / Word

The following questions are used to determine whether a student should be referred for WELPA Placement Testing.

  • What language did your child first learn to speak?
  • What language does YOUR CHILD use the most at home?

If the response to either of these questions is a language other than English, the student should be referred for testing with the WELPA Placement Test.

If the answers to both of the above questions is English, but the response to one of the following questions is a language other than English, a staff member should have a conversation with the student’s parents/guardians to ensure that the home language survey was clearly understood and accurately completed.

  • If available, in what language would you prefer to receive communication from the school?
  • What language(s) do parent/guardians use the most when you speak to your child?

All districts are required to report immigrant students. Refer to elements B10 (Birth Country), B31(Is student identified as immigrant?), B32 (Initial USA Public School Enrollment) and B33 (Number of Months US Attendance in School) in the CEDARS Data Manual.

The following questions are used to identify students who meet the definition of immigrant under Title III.

  • In what country was your child born?
  • Has your child attended school in the United States before enrolling in this district? For how many months?

My district has already printed enrollment packets for the 2013-2014 school year. When must my district implement the new home language survey?
If the district has already printed enrollment packets, the district may continue to use the 2006 WA State Home Language Survey until the district reprints. However, all districts must implement the new home language survey no later than spring 2014.

Can my district include the questions from the home language survey on the district enrollment form rather than using form provided by the state?
Yes. School districts are not required to use the home language survey provided by the state. However, ALL questions contained on the state-provided form must be included in the form used by the school district.




Creative Commons License
Forms and Translated Material by Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.


   Updated 8/24/2016

Old Capitol Building, PO Box 47200, 600 Washington St. S.E., Olympia, WA  98504-7200  360-725-6000  TTY 360-664-3631
Contact Us    |    A-Z Index    |    Site Info    |    Staff Only    |    Education Data System (EDS)