The Washington State Honors Award is a state program (WAC 392-210) that
honors the top ten percent of the current year's Washington State high
school graduating class.
It is the responsibility of high school guidance counselors to nominate eligible high school seniors for the Washington State Honors Award.
A student is eligible to be nominated for a Washington State Honors Award if he or she meets all of the following criteria:
- Will be a graduate of a Washington state public or private secondary school during the same academic year in which the student is nominated.
- Has taken an SAT and/or ACT college entrance exam prior to January 31st of their senior year.
- Has completed at least 75 percent of the credits required for graduation.
- Is enrolled in at least three academic core subjects in Grade 12.
- Meets the Grade Point Average (GPA) and SAT and/or ACT score requirements as outlined annually by OSPI.
In late winter, eligible students are selected for the Washington State
Honors Award. This selection of eligible students is determined by an index
score that gives equal weight to the high school Grade Point Average (GPA) and
the College Board's Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) and/or American College Test
(ACT) scores. SAT and ACT scores must be taken prior to January 31st of their
In February of each year, the Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction
(OSPI) will issue a bulletin to all high schools with information on how to
access the Washington State Honors Award website where high school guidance
counselors can nominate students for the award.
In mid-May, OSPI will notify the high school counselors of the Washington
State Honors Award recipients. Awards will be given to students who rank in the
top ten percent of the current year's Washington state high school graduating
class. Each recipient will receive a certificate for presentation at his/her
Students who are enrolled in Running Start courses are considered for this
award. Running Start students need to work with their high school counselor to
assure credit information is available and that they are included on the high
school list of eligible students.
Please note that it is the responsibility of high school guidance counselors
to nominate eligible high school seniors for the Washington State Honors Award.
TTY (360) 664-3631