The KNOW Curriculum is one of two HIV/STD curriculum options available to school districts in Washington State:
Schools in WA State have two options for meeting legislative requirements for providing annual HIV prevention instruction to students in grades 5-12.
- Adopt the state model KNOW HIV/STD Prevention Curriculum developed by OSPI.
- Develop or purchase a curriculum that has been reviewed for medical accuracy by the WA Department of Health (DOH) Office on HIV/AIDS.
KNOW Curriculum - View, print or download:
- Grades 5–6 (PDF, 96 pages, revised 2014)
- Grades 7–8 (PDF, 100 pages, revised 2014)
- Grades 5-6, Spanish (PDF, 97 pages, revised 2014)
- Grades 7-8, Spanish (PDF, 102 pages, revised 2014)
- High School (PDF, 274 pages, revised 2007)
Included in the OSPI-developed KNOW curriculum are lesson plans, suggestions for creating safe and supportive learning environments, guidelines for answering questions, statewide resources, laws and model policies, and suggestions for parent involvement.
Resources are available to assist districts in identifying an effective, medically accurate HIV/STD prevention program for students.