The KNOW Curriculum is an OSPI developed HIV/STD prevention curriculum.
For meeting legislative requirements for providing annual HIV prevention instruction to students in grades 5-12.
- Adopt the state model KNOW HIV/STD Prevention Curriculum developed by OSPI.
- Develop or purchase a curriculum that has been reviewed for medical accuracy by the WA Department of Health (DOH) Office on HIV/AIDS.
KNOW Curriculum - View, print or download:
- Grades 5–6 (PDF, 96 pages, revised 2014)
- Grades 7–8 (PDF, 100 pages, revised 2014)
- Grades 5-6, Spanish (PDF, 97 pages, revised 2014)
- Grades 7-8, Spanish (PDF, 102 pages, revised 2014)
- High School - NOTE: The High School version of KNOW requires
significant revisions in order to meet state medical accuracy requirements.
While OSPI is in the process of making revisions, it is recommended that schools
use HIV prevention lessons from another curriculum that has been reviewed and is in
compliance with AIDS Omnibus Act requirements. Contact Laurie Dils (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information.
Included in the OSPI-developed KNOW curriculum are lesson plans, suggestions
for creating safe and supportive learning environments, guidelines for answering
questions, statewide resources, laws and model policies, and suggestions for
Resources are available to assist districts in identifying an effective, medically accurate HIV/STD prevention program for students.
For training on the use of KNOW Curriculum, check our
Professional Learning Page.