The KNOW Curriculum is one of two HIV/STD curriculum options available to school districts in Washington State:
Schools in WA State have two options for meeting legislative requirements for providing annual HIV prevention instruction to students in grades 5-12.
- Adopt the state model KNOW HIV/STD Prevention Curriculum developed by OSPI.
- Develop or purchase a curriculum that has been reviewed for medical accuracy by the WA Department of Health (DOH) Office on HIV/AIDS.
KNOW Curriculum - View, print or download:
- Grades 5–6 (PDF, 96 pages, revised 2014)
- Grades 7–8 (PDF, 100 pages, revised 2014)
- Grades 5-6, Spanish (PDF, 97 pages, revised 2014)
- Grades 7-8, Spanish (PDF, 102 pages, revised 2014)
- High School (PDF, 274 pages, revised 2007) NOTE:
The High School version of KNOW requires significant revisions in order to meet
state medical accuracy requirements. While OSPI is in the process of making
revisions, it is recommended that schools use HIV prevention lessons from the
2015 version of High School FLASH or another curriculum that has been reviewed
and is in compliance with AIDS Omnibus Act requirements. OSPI has a limited
number of complimentary FLASH subscriptions available to WA schools. Contact Laurie Dils (email@example.com) for more information.
Included in the OSPI-developed KNOW curriculum are lesson plans, suggestions for creating safe and supportive learning environments, guidelines for answering questions, statewide resources, laws and model policies, and suggestions for parent involvement.
Resources are available to assist districts in identifying an effective, medically accurate HIV/STD prevention program for students.