Spotlight on Graduation is a look at specific practices districts and schools are using to improve graduation rates for all student populations.
GATE developed these one page flyers highlighting processes and elements emphasised by principals and district personel as essential to their success in raising graduation rates.
Franklin Pierce School District (PDF)
District Website: http://fpschools.org/
Kelso School District (PDF)
District Website: http://www.kelso.wednet.edu/
Spokane Public Schools (PDF)
District Website: http://www.spokaneschools.org/
Sunnyside School District (PDF) | System of Support (PDF)
District Website: http://www.sunnysideschools.org/
Why these districts?
These first 4 districts were identified as districts of size with data showing outstanding graduation rates, with little disproportionality for students in poverty.
common themes emerged including processes that address:
- Adult expectations that all students are capable of success, and adults are accountable
- Clearly defined goals and outcome measures
- Data based Dropout Early Warning and Intervention Systems (DEWIS)
- Positive school climate
- Multi-Tiered Systems of Support: Prevention, Intervention and Reengagement
- Emphasis on transition years: elementary to middle school, middle to high school
- Connections to mental health and drug & alcohol supports Professional Learning Communities (PLC)