GATE Partnership Advisory Committee
The GATE Partnership Advisory Committee is a broad base of youth and family serving agencies and organizations that meets quarterly to provide a wide lens of input on specific goals and topics related to the development and implementation of a dropout prevention, intervention and reengagement system across cradle to career milestones.
Interested groups and individuals should attend a meeting or contact us at
Student Equity Measures: Are we Making Progress? How are we Doing It?
September 13, 2017
9 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
6005 Tyee Drive SW
Tumwater, WA 98512
Details coming soon!
June 6, 2017: Systematic Approaches to 100% Graduation: Increasing Capacity by Working Smarter
Work smarter by building systems into your district that increase equity
among student groups. Register your leadership team to reflect and plan for the
year to come. This day is designed to train teams in the foundational systems
that bring graduation success.
- 45-Day Action Planning for School Leaders - The Sunnyside turnaround
team, Dr. Chuck Salina and Dr. Suzann Girtz will guide you through the
process of creating a flexible plan to start next school year off with quick
wins. Together they changed Sunnyside High School's graduation rate from 41%
to 85% in 7 years and they want to share their success with you.
- Collecting Data with Communication in Mind – Take a deeper look at
your district data and how to convey your strengths and plan to grow to
- Equity Analytics Training – Guided training on how to use the OSPI
Equity Analytics and how to use them to increase equity in your
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for materials.
+ March 16, 2017: Engaging Students in Civics Education: Cultivating Active Citizens
Join us to Learn more about engaging students in civic education through the 6 Proven Practices with keynote speaker, Walter Parker.
Breakout sessions will be on:
Classroom Instruction in government, history, law, and democracy
Discussion of current events and Controversial Ideas
- Susan Fortin: Director, Association of Washington Student Leaders (AWSL)
- Vincent Perez: Co-Director, La Cima (The Summit) Bilingual Leadership Camp
Simulations of Democratic Processes
+ December 6, 2016: Strengthening School Mental Health Systems: Successful Partnerships Panel
Current research and data on mental health
District/School/Community Panel Discussion:
- How they got their system started and how they've changed over time
- Strategies that are working and measures of success
- Barriers to sustaining their systems
- Where they are heading next
Successful Partnerships Panel: Panel will share their experiences with school mental health and answer audience questions.
- Sandra Mathewson, MA
Director of Social-Emotional Learning
Battle Ground Public Schools
- Denise Dishongh LMHC, CDP
AWARE Mental Health/Threat Assessment Coordinator: Prevention and Youth
Services - ESD 112
- Sara Ellsworth, MA, LMHC, CDP
Behavioral Health Clinical Services Manager - Capital Region ESD 113
- Sara Rigel MPH, CHES
Public Health Seattle & King County's School-Based Partnerships /
Washington School Based Health Alliance
Please contact us at TeamEffort@k12.wa.us with questions.
+ September 15, 2014: Attendance
Attendance is an equity issue. Absenteeism is a symptom. Addressing the root causes requires supports both in the school and the community.
+ June 2, 2015: Transitions
Transitions can be multi-dimensional and complex for youth, families and systems. For students, especially those with challenges, transitions can also be an easy spot to disengage. How we plan for and support youth through transitions can directly affect student achievement.
+ March 10, 2015: Student and Adult Engagement
- Agenda (PDF)
- Healthy Youth Survey (PDF)
- Results from the 2014 Healthy Youth Survey. Trends in substance use, risk and protective factors, and how these correlate with academic performance.
- Boys and Girls Club (PDF)
- A presentation featuring B&G clubs of Thurston County and B&G Club of South Puget Sound. The presentation includes elements of engagement, aligning outcome measures with partner schools, aligning supports to meet those goals.
+ June 4, 2013
- Graduation Rates (PDF)
Deb Came, OSPI
- Healthy Youth Survey (PDF)
Linda Becker, DSHS/DBHR
- GATE Progress and Structure (PDF)
Dixie Grunenfelder, OSPI and GATE Backbone Members
- Open Doors 1418 Youth Reengagement (PDF)
Sue Furth, OSPI
- Early Warning Indicator Workgroup (PDF)
Sue Furth, OSPI, and Judy Hall, DSHS
- Dropout Prevention, Intervention, and Reengagement Inventory (PDF)
Ron Hertel, OSPI, and Rhett Nelson, OSPI
+ March 5, 2013
- ERDC on the Educational Outcomes and Beyond (PDF)
A briefing on the P20 for K12 reports, also known as the high school feedback reports, and how those are used at the building level. Additionally an Overview of the postsecondary enrollment research brief and other ERDC projects. Katie Weaver-Randall, Office of Financial Management.
- Ready for Life?
How Career and Technical Education, 21st Century Skills, and Worksite learning tie together to lead students to post graduation success. Bryan Erickson, Evergreen Public Schools
- The Role of Internships in Dropout Prevention (PDF)
A chance to learn about the PASS Act-funded Opportunity Internship Program administered by the Workforce Training Board. Mike Brennan, Workforce Training Board.
- The Keys to Student Success: Attendance Matters (PDF)
An overview of the efforts in Franklin Pierce School District to align data and school policy, and the positive results they are seeing in student outcomes. Wendy Dolan, School Counselor, Elmhurst Elementary, Franklin Pierce School District.