Title I Distinguished Schools Award Program — National and State
Exceptional student performance for two or more consecutive years or significant closing of the achievement gap between student groups are the two criteria for a Title I Distinguished Schools Award. Watch this page for information about the 2015 Distinguished Schools Award. Applications are due in the fall of the current school year.
- Receive Title I, Part A funds
- Evidence a poverty rate of 35 percent or higher for the 2014–15 school year.
- Previous — 2013-14 — national award winners are not eligible for a national or state Title I Distinguished School Award for two years.
- Previous — 2013-14 — state award winners who apply are eligible only for the national award.
Use data from the 2010-2011 and 2013-2014 school years.
Exceptional Student Performance
Closing the Achievement Gap
- Enrollment = 30 and Above. As reported by the
Washington State Report Card, a school must have exceeded Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP) targets in all cells — reading and math across all student groups — for school years 2010-2011 and 2013-2014.
- Enrollment = Less Than 30. Must have an OSPI-approved school improvement plan.
- Enrollment = 30 and Above. Significant closing of the achievement gap between student groups in reading and math for school years 2010-2011 and 2013-2014. To qualify, all student groups must make AYP.
- Enrollment = Less Than 30. Must have a current OSPI-approved school improvement plan.
We convene a committee of people in the field of education, who evaluate the applications and select the winners.
Staff from the two national award-winning schools will be recognized at the
2015 National Title I Conference in Salt Lake City, Utah. State winners will attend the conference. All winners receive state recognition. Each national award winner receives $10,000. Each state winner receives $5,000.
Contact Larry Fazzari, 360-725-6189.
National 2014-15 Award Winners
Evergreen Heights Elementary, Auburn School District
Anne Gayman, Principal
Tillicum Elementary, Clover Park School District,
Jeff Miller, Principal
State 2014-15 Award Winners
Chinook Elementary, Auburn School District,
Jennifer Davidson, Principal
Fife School District,
Julie Bartlett, Principal
Award Winners 2003 to 2014