Press Releases - OSPI
LanguagesA-Z IndexPrinter Friendly Image
Search
 


For media inquiries, please contact: 

Communications
360.725.6015

 

Dorn Announces State Board Election Results

OLYMPIA — December 9, 2010 — Superintendent of Public Instruction Randy Dorn announced today that Connie Fletcher of Issaquah has won her election for a position on the State Board of Education.

Fletcher won the election with 58 percent of the vote. The other candidate, Fred O’Neal, received 42 percent.

The board is comprised of 16 members:

  • two members from the eastern region of the state, elected by school board members;
  • three members from the western region of the state, elected by school board members;
  • one member, at large, elected by approved private schools;
  • the superintendent of public instruction;
  • seven members appointed by the governor; and
  • two student representatives selected by the state board itself.

Fletcher, whose position is Western Region Position 3, has been active in the Board’s work with accountability and revision of high school graduation requirements. Her educational leadership experience includes 16 years with the Issaquah School District and three years as president and officer of the Washington State School Directors Association.

Fletcher has been a Board member since September 2009, when she was appointed. Her elected term will run through January 2012.

The State Board of Education helps develop programs that prepare each student for the future. It provides leadership, support and advocacy, through policy, to help each student achieve success in school and life.

Revised Code of Washington 28A.305.021 gives OSPI the authority to conduct State Board member elections.

 

About OSPI

The Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI) is the primary agency charged with overseeing K-12 education in Washington state. Led by State School Superintendent Randy Dorn, OSPI works with the state’s 295 school districts and nine Educational Service Districts to administer basic education programs and implement education reform on behalf of more than one million public school students.

OSPI does not discriminate and provides equal access to its programs and services for all persons without regard to race, color, gender, religion, creed, marital status, national origin, sexual preference/orientation, age, veteran’s status or the presence of any physical, sensory or mental disability.

CONTACT:
Nathan Olson
OSPI Communications Manager
(360) 725-6015

FOLLOW:
Twitter | Facebook | Flickr

The OSPI Communications Office serves as the central point of contact for local, regional and national media covering K-12 education issues.

Communications Manager
Nathan Olson
(360) 725-6015

 

Old Capitol Building, PO Box 47200, 600 Washington St. S.E., Olympia, WA  98504-7200  (360) 725-6000  TTY (360) 664-3631
Contact Us    |    A-Z Index    |    Site Info    |    Staff Only    |    Education Data System (EDS)