Food Distribution Program
LanguagesA-Z IndexPrinter Friendly Image


Child Nutrition

Food Distribution Program

The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Food Distribution or “USDA Foods” Program provides foods such as protein foods, fruit and vegetables, poultry and eggs, nuts, grains, oils and cheese to eligible Local Education Agencies (LEAs). Public and private schools, Residential Child Care Institutions (RCCIs), and approved state agencies that participate in the National School Lunch Program are eligible to receive foods purchased by USDA. Sponsors participating in the Simplified Summer Food Program (SSFP) may also receive USDA foods as well as some Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) institutions.

Advisory Council
The USDA Foods Advisory Council serves to assist the State Agency in decisions regarding USDA Foods. Council members help provide feedback and guidance for the state agency.

Entitlement Amounts
Entitlement amounts are based on LEAs Total Lunches Served (TLS) from the previous school year. The Planned Assistance Level (PAL) for SY 2015-16 is $0.2375 plus a 12% provision of $.0750 for a total rate of $.3125. SSFP sponsors receive entitlement based on 1.5 cents per meal served the previous summer and CACFP sponsors receive cash in lieu for USDA foods.

Food Distribution Resources

Food Safety – Holds/Recalls

Forms and Instructions

DoD (Department of Defense) Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program
The DoD Fresh Fruit and Vegetable program is an optional way to use entitlement funds. Dollars allocated can be used to purchase domestically grown fresh fruits and vegetables.

  • The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) will continue to offer the option of ordering fresh U.S. grown produce through the DoD’s prime vendor which remains Pacific Coast Produce.

Ordering Information

Processed USDA Foods by the State

Program Updates


The U.S Department of Agriculture prohibits discrimination against its customers, employees, and applicants for employment on the bases of race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, gender identity, religion, reprisal, and where applicable, political beliefs, marital status, familial or parental status, sexual orientation, or all or part of an individual's income is derived from any public assistance program, or protected genetic information in employment or in any program or activity conducted or funded by the Department. (Not all prohibited bases will apply to all programs and/or employment activities.) If you wish to file a Civil Rights program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, found online at or at any USDA office, or call (866) 632-9992 to request the form. You may also write a letter containing all of the information requested in the form. Send your completed complaint form or letter to us by mail at U.S. Department of Agriculture, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, by fax (202) 690-7442 or email at

Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339; or (800) 845-6136 (Spanish).

Food Distribution

Fax 360-664-0570

Jim Hemmen, 360-725-6209

Debbie Stevens, 360-725-6204
Administrative Support


Old Capitol Building, PO Box 47200, 600 Washington St. S.E., Olympia, WA  98504-7200  360-725-6000  TTY 360-664-3631
Contact Us    |    A-Z Index    |    Site Info    |    Staff Only    |    Education Data System (EDS)